Friday, June 5, 2009

Garden 2009

Tis' the growing season around here and I decided to try my hand growing quite a few vegetables this year on top of what we regularly plant. This post may be a little boring for most but I know Nate will enjoy it as he misses Wisconsin summer and was curious to see all the flowers and plants we put in a few weeks ago. Everything is growing nicely, even the seeds we planted. Finley helps me take care of our garden and flowers daily and enjoys the time outside. Tonight we took a nice walk before dinner time and then snapped these pictures. Mind you I was carrying Finley and taking the photos at the same time...quite a tougher task than I thought considering he grabs the camera constantly. We can't wait for all of our veggies to be ready!! You cannot beat your own home grown organic vegetables! Now... lets hope it's not going to turn into "Bunny wars" as the rabbits may have their eye on my veggies. I don't believe in harsh tactics to keep them away so this should be interesting considering our back yard seems to be an exclusive meeting place for neighborhood rabbits and squirrels despite the doggies. Wish us luck!! Oh, and check out pictures of the little dog food eater at the end... gross but it's life.

Nate: Your beloved Hibiscus after a winter of dormancy in the basement. Mom clipped the dead branches but it's making a good comeback.

I chose to do fun, bright colored flowers for the patio this year.

Our tomato, pepper and herb pots mixed with some flowers

The perennial garden is doing well, thanks mom for weeding it! We added a few new species of Sedum as they do so well here. Oh and I bought the patriotic pinwheels for the pots as I thought Finley would like them.

The far right is zucchini, the middle is some random melon or pumpkin that's coming up from last year (Nate?? what did you put in there last fall?) Next in line are the gourds and then one of our way abundant rhubarb plants. I don't know why these pictures did this but didn't want to risk messing things up to fix it. So there is Finley on the patio...

A side view of the back garden where most of the veggies are planted

Broccoli in between more rhubarb and the chives

The gourds! So excited about these! We have had poor luck with these in past seasons. Wait. I just blew this picture up and see rabbit bite marks on the leaves! Not my gourds rabbits!

Green beans...

Can you see the tiny shoots of spinach?

Also, tiny shoots of Mesclum lettuce coming up. Rabbits...stay away!! Oh and more random melon/pumpkin too? Nate you must be thrilled.

The front yard flower pots (I always do red, white and blue for the front)

Close up...looking good and the humming birds love those red flowers

My new shepherds hook and hanging baskets. An addition this year- oh and the Yew bushes we put in two years ago are doing great aside from the last two on the end. Not sure but those just are not making the winters?

So this is what a reaction to NO! looks like...he kind of throws his body around. Appropriate No as he was helping himself to the dog food.

Mmm. dog food flavor is just as good as cat food. Finley has tried both. I figured it would happen one of these days.



2 comments:

  1. The garden and flowers look good!! Looks like you have a green thumb. I can't wait for the updates. Keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, Erin...I definitely need to come over and learn a few things about gardening from you. WOW! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete